WWS Updates - Mar 10, 2020
Westfield Washington Schools has been working diligently to plan for the possibility of a positive Coronavirus COVID-19 situation. To be clear - we are aware of no students or staff testing positive. We will continue to plan for any possible scenario and be vigilant, as ensuring a healthy learning environment is critical.
Here are some important updates you need to be aware of:
- As the number of individuals in Indiana testing positive continues to increase, it is important to note that once this occurs, many decisions, including school closures, are decided by the county department of health, not the school district.
- Should a WWS student or staff member test positive for COVID-19, we will be forced to close ALL 9 schools for 14 days and institute eLearning for those 10 school days. If this occurs, families will receive communication from their schools on eLearning procedures. Please be patient because this is not a typical eLearning situation.
- Please remember, we are prohibited from sharing specific health information about students and staff. Doing so would be illegal. Please do not engage in speculation, online or in person, about neighbors or classmates.
- We have initiated enhanced disinfecting protocols of our classrooms and buildings with our custodial service provider, Sodexo. This includes, but is not limited to, enhanced disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces, including railings/bannisters, desks and light switches. WWS buses are also being disinfected more regularly. We are also encouraging staff to allow more time for students to hand wash, knowing that soap and water is the best form of disinfecting.
- If you are traveling to one of the countries with a CDC level 3 travel health notice, it is recommended that you self-quarantine for 14 days. Additional information, as well as a list of countries with health advisories, is available at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html.
- Families planning international travel should keep in mind that this situation is rapidly evolving. International travel to areas where COVID-19 is spreading may result in delays or possibly quarantine if travel recommendations change while abroad. If you do travel internationally to a level 3 country, or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, please notify the Hamilton County Health Department and your school’s office.
- We are not cancelling extracurricular events at this time, nor have we limited lunchtime visitors, but we will have additional hand sanitizer available, and we urge event attendees to follow CDC recommendations. Again, this situation is fluid. As always, if you are sick, please refrain from coming to school.
- If your student has a school-issued Chromebook please have them bring that device home every night in the event of an unexpected closure.
- If your child is in need of a device in order to complete eLearning assignments, complete one of the following forms. English Form - Spanish Form If you are unable to access this form, please call 317.867.8026.
- If you do not have access to broadband, please complete one of the following forms. English Form - Spanish Form. If you are unable to complete this form, please call 317.867.8026.
- This is a helpful resource on how to talk to your children about Coronavirus.
- Should we have to close for an extended period of time, we will communicate a plan to provide food for families in need.
This is an evolving situation and we are following this closely on an hour-by-hour basis.
Here is what you can do to help:
We would encourage families to begin conversations about what your family plan would be in the event of an extended school closure. If the Health Department requires us to close our schools, your family needs to have a plan in place to address an extended eLearning window. If buildings close, this would mean all programs and activities, including BAC, TOTS, All Aboard and developmental preschool, would close. Should the Hamilton County Health Department recommend we close, we will abide by their recommendations.
Thank you for your attention. We will keep you posted and any changes or updates.